Monday 26 September 2016

Explain Calculation Methods


You need to explain how you got or will get your answer.

Why can’t you just do the problem, enter the answer and be done with it?

The answer to this question comes down to what the education establishment believes “understanding” to be, and how to measure it. Getting the right answer involves equal parts procedural skills and understanding. One distinction is between “knowing” and “doing.” A student, might be able to “do” a problem (i.e., solve it mathematically) without understanding the concepts behind the problem-solving procedure.

Students who lack understanding of a topic may rely on procedures too heavily. But what does mathematical understanding look like? The underlying assumption here is that if a student understands something, he or she can explain it—and that deficient explanation signals deficient understanding.

Writing for the TASK

Read the task scenario and answer the following questions for each section of the task:

·         What information do I need to find? ….I need to find….

·         Where can I find the information? (what sources will I use)

·         What calculations will I need to do? …I will (multiply, divide, subtract, etc.,)

·         How will I present my findings? …I will present my findings on a graph, table, etc.

Write your answers step by step in detail. Write it in such a way that someone who does not know how to work through the task, would be given enough description and detail that they would be able to.

It may be helpful to review this after you have completed the task to make sure that you have included each step.


Check your evidence (all your calculations), and check your work

Example A: 

Finding 10% discount of £60 
I will multiply 60 by 10/100 (or by 0.1) to find 10%
Then, I will deduct this from £60 this will give me the discount price. 

To check my answer, I can take the discount price and add the 10% which should give me my original price. 

Example B:

To find the average cost one night in a hotel, I will add up the total cost of each hotel and divide by the number of hotels I looked at. This will give me the mean. 

To check my answer, I can multiply the mean by the number of hotels and this should give me the total cost.  




No comments:

Post a Comment